Friday

109

September 5, 2008 :: The Omnivore's 100

Now, for the meats. And other stuff.

There are things on this list that I actually will never eat - out of principle or simple lifelong dislike. Those are crossed out. Things I've had are bolded. Others, commented upon heavily.

1. Venison - if deer jerky counts, then yes

2. Nettle tea - Probably. But I can’t say for sure

3. Huevos rancheros

4. Steak tartare

5. Crocodile – at the Friendship, Indiana National Muzzle Loader’s Society Conference and “Shoot”

6. Black pudding – On a client trip, during a proper English breakfast in the countryside

7. Cheese fondue

8. Carp

9. Borscht (I just don’t do beets.)

10. Baba ghanoush

11. Calamari

12. Pho – we tried our hand at making this last night. It was awesome, and really easy. Highly recommended.

13. PB&J sandwich

14. Aloo gobi – not a fan of cauliflower.

15. Hot dog from a street cart – NYC, Muncie IN, Athens GA, Cincinnati

16. Epoisses

17. Black truffle – shaved thin in some truly wonderful macaroni & cheese. Very tasty.

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes – my family will make wine out of anything. Dandelions, pineapple, black cherries, mango…you name it.


19. Steamed pork buns

20. Pistachio ice cream

21. Heirloom tomatoes


22. Fresh wild berries – My parents’ backyard is full of blackberries and raspberries. Yuumm.

23. Foie gras - Just doesn’t seem necessary to me.

24. Rice and beans

25. Brawn or head cheese – My predominant heritage: German. So, yeah.

26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (I have a low tolerance for things that taste like nothing but pain)

27. Dulce de leche – This I could go for right now.

28. Oysters – fried, grilled, raw, steamed, you name it. We grilled some last weekend, actually.

29. Baklava

30. Bagna cauda

31. Wasabi peas – One of my favorite snack foods.

32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl

33. Salted lassi - no. mango lassi, yes.
34. Sauerkraut - Again. Highly German over here.

35. Root beer float

36. Cognac with a fat cigar – The cigar I’ve done. The cognac, no.

37. Clotted Cream Tea - boy do I love clotted cream though..have to try this

38. Vodka Jelly/Jell-O – made for a very interesting Halloween a few years back

39. Gumbo


40. Oxtail – I see this at the farmer’s market all the time. It’s a stew-meat, right?

41. Curried goat – Blake’s favorite thing to get off the DeKalb International Market’s hot bar.

42. Whole insects – I am from Cincinnati, land of the 17-year cicada plague. People eat them. I tried one too. I've also eaten cricket and tequila worms (if those count)
43. Phaal

44. Goat's milk

45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth $120 or more - maybe $80…

46. Fugu - No reason to eat something that could so readily kill you.

47. Chicken tikka masala

48. Eel – in soup and in sushi. Not really a fan.

49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - Come on. I live in Atlanta.

50. Sea urchin

51. Prickly pear

52. Umeboshi

53. Abalone

54. Paneer

55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal

56. Spaetzle

57. Dirty gin martini – lots of olives, lots of brine. Also fond of the vodka variety.

58. Beer above 8% ABV – I’m partnered with a Belgium-loving beer snob. I don’t like the taste of many of them, but I’ve tried quite a few.


59. Poutine

60. Carob chips - Oh my. My mom made us swear off chocolate for a short time. Man. The late 70’s.


61. S’mores

62. Sweetbreads

63. Kaolin - something classified as a symptom of an eating disorder does not qualify as a “must taste” food. Sorry.

64. Currywurst – But if I ever go to Berlin, definitely.

65. Durian

66. Frogs’ legs


67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - all of them, baby!

68. Haggis – I’ve eaten the intestine of a number of animals, but no sheep’s stomach yet.

69. Fried plantain

70. Chitterlings or andouillette

71. Gazpacho

72. Caviar and blini – caviar yes. Blini, no.

73. Louche absinthe - I’ve had absinthe home-brewed, smuggled from Spain wrapped in dirty laundry, and dripped, old-school from a decanter in a 200-year old New Orleans bar. This one should count for 3 others.

74. Gjetost or brunost

75. Roadkill - I’m trying to imagine the situation in which this would be a good idea…

76. Baijiu

77. Hostess Fruit Pie - for some reason, you can’t buy them in Georgia. It’s a shame.

78. Snail - One commenter on another site guessed snails taste like garlicky tires. They do.


79. Lapsang Souchong

80. Bellini - These are one of the tastiest things on this list.

81. Tom Yum

82. Eggs Benedict

83. Pocky - I’ve been in Pocky’s presence, but have not partaken

84. 3 Michelin Star Tasting Menu - I’m a cheapskate. Maybe some day.

85. Kobe beef

86. Hare


87. Goulash

88. Flowers – dandelion, orchid, and various others in salads

89. Horse - I just don’t see any point in this.

90. Criollo chocolate – I’ve had some bad-ass chocolate. Not sure I haven’t had this kind.

91. Spam

92. Soft shell crab

93. Rose harissa

94. Catfish

95. Mole poblano

96. Bagel and lox

97. Lobster Thermidor

98. Polenta

99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee

100. Snake

Not as impressive as my vegetarian score. But, I'd say, respectable.

Anyway, I know this list is just someone’s opinion (and I think leans heavily toward the dare-y and pretentious, to be honest), so I’d like to add a few:

- Skyline Chili – Found in Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Dayton, and in your local Kroger if you live in the South. I’m partial to the five-way with lots of hot sauce, and a little sour cream on top.

- Goetta – Smashed up pork parts and pine nuts, fried up crisp. Ow...arteries...

- U.S. Government Cheese – Seriously. It has a flavor all its own. And, according to Wikipedia, it "slices and melts well." I do remember that...and the giant, orange blocks it used to come in.

- Doubles – Trinidadian sandwich pocket. Probably some of the best street food I’ve ever had.

- Liquorice Allsorts – Black jellybean licorice sucks. This is complex, earthy, chocolatey, not saccharine.

- Palmer Cream Pie - this one’s so particular, I can’t find a recipe online. I know it’s a cream pie with a slight amaretto flavor, a gram crackery crust and shaved chocolate and nutmeg on top. And that my great-grandmother Bergman made it the best.

- A “Fussy Bitch” - Diet Coke and Vanilla Stoli (or, alternately, a "Whiskerino/Cincinnati Bulldog" - A White Russian with a splash of Pepsi)

- Two Buck Chuck

- Stollen – Christmas cake!

- Circus Peanuts

- Bagel from a real NYC deli

- Homemade Pork Rinds

No comments: