Friday

004

Jan 4, 2008 :: Inwood Circle. Chamomile after a cold walk.

I learned late last year about a wonderous thing. It's called fika - a Swedish word that means, basically, "snacks and a warm beverage in the afternoon." Truly, I have been taking all kinds of wild, hot fika my entire working life. But who knew it has a proper term? And a cultural history? And a following of people who have rather beautiful blogs and design sensibilities? (There are four links there, by the way - four of my favorite inspiration blogs.)

Indeed, I am a bit inspired today myself. I had kind of a crappy, weepy morning (hormones, bad dreams, and general XX-ness) but now, after spending most of the day proofing and writing text for the new Here magazine (due to come out next month - see the last two years'-worth here), I will now be spending the rest of the afternoon reading, listing for the weekend's home projects, fika-ing, and listening to new music. I am thrilled.

New music of the moment: Jenny Lewis and The Watson Twins (Blake worked some of the words to "Just as I am" into a new song a while back. They do a similar thing with "There but for the Grace of God Go I," a tactic I love. Heartfelt, it seems, on both counts.); Iron and Wine's The Shepherd's Dog (folky goodness); and The Weepies (don't let the fact that they did the song for the Old Navy holiday commercials turn you off. The album is amazing.)

And...it's the weekend in an hour-fifteen! Happiness.

1 comment:

Audrey Brown said...

Wow, snacking is back in again! Hooray for Sweden!